Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:50:22 -0400
From:      Tony Chen <adchen@skatefaq.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ethernet card weirdness

Hi all,

Have an odd problem, not sure if a hardware problem or a network/OS problem.

System:
  VA-502 motherboard
  32 MB
  6x86 PR200+
  FreeBSD 2.2.7-stable
  SMC EtherPower PCI card, (SMC8432T) 10-baseT

Part 1:
-------
Originally this machine was using 2.2.2-stable.  The PCI Ethernet card
is on de0 and has about 16 ip aliased on it.  Every few days (sometimes
several times a day) the interface will stop working.  No packets out, no
packets in - link light on the ethernet card shows link (green) but no
traffic.

There *were* only two ways to wake it back up:  1)  reboot, 2) do "ifconfig
de0 down" followed by  "ifconfig de0 up".   We had a script do #2 whenever
it could ping out.  Crude, but it worked.

Part 2:
-------
A while later, we upgraded to 2.2.7-stable.  The network card still goes
silent but now the ifconfig down/up trick no longer wakes the interface back
up.  Now only a reboot will make it work again.  Not good.

The included DOS diagnostic programs show the card appears to be fine
hardware-wise.  We even swapped in another ethernet card, exact same model,
brand-new, and the problem still occurs.  We tried different PCI slots
on the motherboard with each card.  Still happens.

So is this a hardware compatibility problem or an OS problem?

Thanks for any help.

-Tony Chen
 adchen@skatefaq.com