Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:03:44 -0800
From:      "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To:        <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   <citerefentry> vs. &man.command.section

Doc gurus,
I wrote a new section for the FreeBSD Handbook to help users employ the
new gbde(8) disk encryption features. The content is currently under
review by the author of gbde. This is my first attempt at writing
FreeBSD documentation, so please bear with me if some of my questions
may have been answered elsewhere. Just send me a pointer. :-)

1) I read section 4.2.5.4 of the Documentation guide, but I still don't
understand when to use

<citerefentry>
<refentrytitle>
gbde
</refentrytitle>
<manvolume>8</<manvolume>
</citerefentry>

and when to use

&man.gbde.8

Is the former indexed while the latter is not? What determines whether
one should choose one format over the other?

2) Is it required that every time a FreeBSD command is mentioned the
command _must_ be surrounded by the <command> tags? I have explanatory
text paragraphs in which gbde is mentioned multiple times and having all
these bold instances of gbde in the same paragraph looks strange to me
(in the html output).

3) Is there a graphical editor that allows tagging of SGML text using
drop-down lists or the like, similar to any number of HTML editors out
there? I am currently using KDE's Kate, typing each tag by hand, which
is a pain. Also, is there a graphical editor that performs tag matching?
I.e., you click on a closing </procedure> tag and the editor highlights
everything between the opening and closing tags?

4) Is there an SGML source beautifier script or program that will parse
the SGML document and based on the parsing perform indentations in
conformance with the style guide?

Thanks,
--Lucky