Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/33913: GNATS webinterface isn't wrapping lines

The following reply was made to PR docs/33913; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To: Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
Cc: Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, ru@FreeBSD.org,
	freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:39:22 -0800

 --rFUhhEVnhEf/dYhU

 On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:15:33AM -0800, Jim Mock wrote:
 > > The wrap attribute was NEVER valid in any HTML spec.  It is and
 > > remains a quick hack to get out of massaging user input.
 >=20
 > What's wrong with it is that when the web site is built, the code is
 > validated, and if non-existant stuff is found, the build fails.  If we
 > add the wrap attribute, the build will fail because it isn't valid.

   I ran into this problem a lot over the last several weeks as I was
 frantically trying to put up http://www.FreeBSDMall.com.

   Basically we're using the stock FreeBSD Web infrastructure with the
 following small additions to web/share/mk/web.site.mk :

   * Addition of a 'spellcheck' target, so that we can check the
     formatted output for errors before committing changes.

   * Addition of a 'POSTPROCESS' target, so that invalid HTML can be
     specified with something like=20

       "<body class=3D'FreeBSDMall-bodystyle1'>"=20

     A variable is set in the individual Makefiles to specify what
     replacement should be done.  In this case, the class attribute is
     replaced with the invalid but highly implemented margin
     attributes.

     web.site.mk then contains the Perl or sed command line to run the
     regexp specified in this variable over the generated HTML file.

   * Various other installation tweaks for our local.

 The problem gets more complex for us, because we're using an
 application server that embeds new invalid tags to the HTML.

 We can use CDATA sections for some of this stuff, but that has the
 side effect of changing < into &lt; and other problems that will
 certainly confuse the application server.  If anyone is interested, I
 can post the diffs for the above functionality, although it is really
 quite trivial.

 I would be very interested in hearing how other people deal with these
 problems.  In particular, I know the POSTPROCESS stuff is a big ugly
 hack, so I'd like to find a more SGML-friendly way to solve this problem.

 	  - Murray

 --rFUhhEVnhEf/dYhU

 --rFUhhEVnhEf/dYhU--