Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 06:28:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@mail.id.net>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        sysop@mixcom.com, jas@flyingfox.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: analog and Apache?

> > There is another problem with this as well.  If a site has a very large
> > logfile, 10 Mb, 100 Mb, or more even, Analog will start using a lot of
> > memory.  Once the server starts swapping it takes a bit of a performance
> > hit.  Not to mention that it was thrashing our name servers.
>
> Hmmm...  Haven't seen this here, even on 200M files as long as the server
> is not overloaded.  We set resolv.conf on the webservers to look at one of
> our little-used secondaries, so the deluge of DNS requests will not affect
> our two main nameservers.  I haven't really seen this touch the load on
> the nameserver, though.  Also, analog sets up a cache, so you'll see over
> a period of time the logs take less time to crunch.  The current analog is
> very efficient, and other than a mind-spinning array of command line
> switches, it's fairly easy to tweak to your liking...
>
> > Personally I find that FBSD and Apache work well together and with tweaking
> > and ample memory you can handle a lot of traffic.  The "savings" of not
> > logging IP was non-exisistant.

Hmmm.. We log DNS lookups, perhaps you guys are just "lucky" in a sense, but
these are a couple of our logfiles (we have several like this), and these are
about 200-300MB smaller than "normal" since they haven't been promoting their
website for a while now.

-rw-r--r--  1 nobody nogroup 540540984 Jul 26 06:13 access_log
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody nogroup 584473315 Jul 26 06:14 access_log

And let me tell you... Going through more than

# wc -l access_log
 2592183 access_log

requests and processing DNS lookups AFTER the fact is a complete pain in the
rump and DOES have an impact on DNS machines, the network, etc.  We haven't
really noticed too many problems with real-time DNS lookups.  What *SHOULD*
be done (perhaps it already is) is that the logging trail behind the incoming
requests and the DNS lookups be done at the webservers convience, but as close
to real-time as possible so as not to slow down any interactive connections..

	-- Rob
===

                             Innovative Data Services
                          Serving South-Eastern Michigan
        Internet Service Provider / Hardware Sales / Consulting Services
       Voice: (810)855-0404 / Fax: (810)855-3268 / Web: http://www.id.net