Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 18:58:59 -0700
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file creation times ?

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 11:03:38AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2000 10:35:11 -0700, Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org> wrote:

> To put it another way, why _should_ FreeBSD store a file creation time?

0. I'm tired of seeing people putting "Created: mm/dd/yy" in their documents.
1. NTFS does it. It's a part of SMB. I suspect that Samba just uses the
   last modified time.
2. An average computer user would expect it. I didn't know that UNIX didn't
   keep track of file creation times 5-6 years after I started using it.

> That's all Unix has ever offered (both the original AT&T FS and
> FFS/UFS).  If you really need a file creation time, you'll need a
> different filesystem.

I know. That's why I ask. So if someone designs a ext3fs killer journalling
filesystem for BSD, would they consider adding it :) ?

	-Arun