Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 09:06:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@grendel.csc.smith.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        doc@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "too many notes"

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> Having gotten my third complaint that "the Handbook looked really nice but,
> was, well.  ahem.  too *split up*!  One paragraph per section is too
> small! :("  I finally went to investigate those complaints..

I've been trying to avoid this.  Not only are sections often too
small, but they are nested too deep.  To that end, I've merged
sections on some submission, but it often requires some rewriting
to make it work smoothly.

The other thing, which is tunable, is the section level deptch at
which sgmlfmt stops breaking the sections into separate files.
Right now, this is set deeper than I would like because some
chapters are sectioned so deep that people would complain about
the HTML pages being too large.  I suppose I could try adjusting
the "split" level and see how people react...

The worst offenders are documents that were standalone before and
in the context of the handbook have been bumped down a level or
two.

Some sections that are still in outline form have far more
section headings than would actually be needed in an actual
document; they are mostly placeholders for ideas that should be
addressed.

Finally, things can be helped somewhat by providing better
navigation controls which I will work on (after I figure out some
cryptic variable names I neglected to document :).  Namely, and a
line at the top showing where you are:

FreeBSD Handbook
Installing FreeBSD : Supported Configurations : Ethernet Cards
<i>Previous</i>: Disk Controllers
<i>Next</i>: Miscellaneous

where each title is a link to the particular section.

> We could also probably stand to collapse some of the chapters together
> so as to have more material easily accessible in one place, but that's
> up to John.

By all means make suggestions as to which!

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============