Date:      Mon, 05 May 2003 16:34:28 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        jesse@wingnet.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ideal laptop recommendations?

> From: "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net>
> Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 19:00:33 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> >> From: "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net>
> >> Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 17:43:27 -0400
> >> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> <snip>
>
> Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply. See comments below:
>
> > "Great looking" is at the bottom of my list. I prefer  that they
> > work. :-)
>
> Did I say Great Looking? I don't care how it looks either.
>

> > 1. CPU speed is only of limited import. If the disks are slow or the
> > memory inadequate, a fast CPU is not significant for most things. My 1.8
> > GHz laptop can buildworld in under 30 minutes for STABLE and about 35
> > minutes for CURRENT.
>
> I want a fast disk too. But I also want at least a 2Ghz processor.
> I do just fine with a 600Mhz at home, but I want to raise the bar.
>

> > 2. I think any modern laptop can handle 512 MB. After market memory from
> > a good source (i.e. Crucial) can save $$$.
>
> Sure.
>

> > 3. GeForce4?? Can't fathom this. ATI is the current darling of the gamer
> > crowd.
>
> I don't really care that much. GeForce I know is supported which is
> why I mentioned it. Just as long as OpenGL works I'm happy.
>

> > 4. Pretty standard, but slight differences between devices can cause a
> > bit of pain. FreeBSD STABLE and CURRENT both can talk to my flash stick
> > as well as many others. Minor hacks can get ALMOST all to work fine.
>
> Really? What driver? 4.8 or 5.0? Anything I should look for in particular
> so that I can guarantee they work?
>

> > 5. Most are now going 10 GigE as standard.
>
> No. I don't think so. 10/100 is plenty fine for me. I don't send files
> that large and I live in Tennessee where everything is still 10/100.

Dang fingers. That was not 10 GigE. It was supposed to be GigE. I don't
have anything that talks 10 GigE except Juniper routers.

> > 6. Ain't no such thing today. APM is pretty limited, but I can live with
> > it. ACPI requires current and is still fairly buggy (as are many
> > BIOSes).
>
> Dang. Should I start looking at Linux?

Most ACPI code is shared between Linux and *BSD, so I don't know that
Linux would be much better. ACPI is really not quite thee, yet. Even for
Windows XP, there can be some nasty issues.

> > 7. Ahh, a heavy-weight. Look at resolution. You can get 1600x1200 at 15
> > inches from a few vendors. These will always look better than
> > 1400x1050. (Cost more, too!)
>
> I don't particularly care about res. I think 1600x1200 is too much
> for a 15" screen. 1400x1050 is more than enough.

I have a friend who has the 1600x1200 and I an assure you that it's not
too much. Fonts look much cleaner and it is amazingly readable, even to
my 50 year old eyes, with rather small fonts. I don't envy the weight,
but I LOVE the display.

> > 8. Duh!
> >
> > 9. See 8. Look for Prism 2.5 or Prism 3 or for Cisco cards. Built-in is
> > nice, but some systems using mini-PCI cards have really a bad
> > antenna. Some are excellent. See reviews. Dell and IBM tend to have
> > highly rated antennas.
>
> OK.
>

> > Avoid Broadcom and TI based units. No FreeBSD support is near at this
> > time.
>
> OK.
>

> > 10. Good luck! I think all of the keys on my ThinkPad T30 work, but I
> > have not mapped all of them to anything useful.
> >
> > One possible is an IBM ThinkPad A31p. 2 GHz, 15", 1600x1200, does almost
> > everything you ask, but has broken ACPI and ATI Mobility FireGL
> > graphics. APM works VERY well, so ACPI is not too important. You do need
> > the DOS based ps2 utility to set it up, though. (Ugh.) IBM supplies the
> > floppy images for this. Not really pretty, but rugged and reliable.
> > Heavy. Over well 7 pounds or 3 kilos. Awesome display!
>
> IBMs seem a bit overpriced and underfeatured to me. Still, if that is
> the best suggestion I get, then I might give it a try.

They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. I have had 3 ThinkPads
over many years with only the well-known battery issues with my
600E. IBM support is first-rate and the warranty is above average. It's
built like a tank, but it's still rather light for what it offers. Every
review I have seen on recent models has been excellent. See this
month's PC magazine for a mini-review of the new T40 Centrino. (Yum!)

I am less familiar with Dell laptops, but I am rather impressed with my
wife's. VERY light, single spindle unit. But she runs Windows. (I love
her, anyway.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)