Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 20:52:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, "Vladimir Mencl, MK, susSED" <mencl@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz>, Ali Alaoui El Hassani <961BE653994@stud.alakhawayn.ma>, CrazZzy Slash <slash@krsu.edu.kg>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Subject:   Re: Encryption over IP

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Mipam wrote:
> > Your throughput goes down the drain, but it works fine and it's easy
> > to set up. And remember, sweeping generalizations are always wrong.
>
> Not really.
> Tcp always assumes an unreliable carrier, which isnt the case in tcp over tcp.
> This can cause problems in some situations.

Could you be a bit more specific? I can see where the extra overhead isn't
always pretty, but I can't see where it *hurts* things other than network
throughput. Actually the throughput doesn't suffer all *that* much, if you
measure it and you have medium packets. For short, telnet-class packets
the overhead is more noticable than FTP, NNTP, SMTP, HTTP, etc... - Jy@