Date:      5 Apr 2000 23:08:25 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us> wrote:

> > Not so. Unicode is a character map. One of many. It just happens to be
> > the most inclusive one in existence.
>
>   It is. However if you look at the current efforts of its "adoption", it
> is not used as one. It's touted as the solution to all language-related
> problems, as a replacement of language/charset labeling infrastructure

Who says so? Certainly not the Unicode enthusiasts I have met.
You are arguing against a strawman.

Unicode takes care of character repertoire, code points, and (with
UTF-*) encoding. In no way does it touch on language labeling.

> and as the necessary prerequisite for any multilingual text processing.

A claim that would be obviously absurd.
However, I do consider Unicode a sensible part of any new
implementation. ISO 2022 (and what other dinosaurs that may be
lurking in murky shadows) is a legacy solution that should die off.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de