Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2021 15:58:40 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        gfoster411@charter.net, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Src IP 0.0.0.0 for outgoing off-net ping & SSH packets

21.04.2021 23:35, gfoster411@charter.net wrote:

> Do you have any tips or specific areas of the routing code I should be
> looking into ?

ping using 0.0.0.0 as source address means you have an inteface without any IP address assigned, indeed.
And this is the interface selected as outgoing for requests.

If you have such interfaces and observe 0.0.0.0 as source, you should stop relying
on automatic source IP selection and supply some IP manually, instead:

ping -S $myip $destination

Same with ssh -b etc.

I have similar setups with vlan interfaces without IP that generally used to route /32 prefixes into,
so I have to use ping -S in such cases, it helps.