Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 07:44:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp and Samba under 2.2.5-STABLE: real weird package, Dave...

I have been tracking stable for some time now thru the recent release at
home, and decided to go ahead and cvsup our network server at work.  Big
mistake.  We run ppp with -auto and -alias to allow web browsing and such.
Here's my trouble log:

2.2.2-RELEASE binaries and kernel: Everything worked a-ok.

2.2.2-RELEASE kernel, 2.2.5-STABLE binaries (before reboot): SMB clients
couldn't find the server (and the server can't even find itself, with
smbclient) if ppp was running but not dialed in.  If ppp was not running,
or it was dialed in, no problem.

2.2.5-STABLE binaries and kernel: Also can't find the server; this time
regardless of whether or not ppp was running, only worked if ppp was
dialed in.

I checked netstat -r to make sure we did indeed have a broadcast route;
yep, we do.  Other than that, the only non-standard part of our setup is
one single static route to a satellite box, but that never should get in
the way (right?)  It didn't before, in any event.

I'm going to recompile Samba to 1.9.17p4 as a last resort and cross my
fingers... (presently running 1.9.17p3 compiled on the 2.2.2-RELEASE
system, but that shouldn't make a difference, right?)

Matt Behrens         | Help bring  a free realtime  communication
http://www.zigg.com/ | system to the Internet.  Join the NetPager
matt@zigg.com        | Project!     http://www.zigg.com/netpager/