Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 15:56:30 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XANDF (was Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object)

On Sun, May 31, 1998 at 09:57:05PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> >I *really* look forward to the day when I can buy an XANDF Motif
> >library, and use it on all my hardware, regardless of the CPU type.
> >8-0.
>
> Aren't we really just emulating an "XANDF" machine with an XANDF->whatever
> micro-code expanded inline? Where is my XANDF native machine?

Having an XANDF native machine would be very strange.

XANDF was designed to be a intermediate format.  It can contain
variations/extension for different architectures, and I'm not certain
it would be feasible to execute it.

You at least want to do an optimization pass as you install it; XANDF
code is usually distributed with some architecture-specific code -
code that is _intended_ to be dead code on other architectures.