Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:16:06 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Stallman now claims authorship of Linux

At 05:14 AM 4/19/2001, Trevor Johnson wrote:

>The original program must have been brilliantly written, if it was worth
>spending so much time on the improvements.

Non sequitur. It may be that the original is mundane and the improvements
contribute most or all of the program's value.

>  If the only way to get revenue
>from it is by selling binary copies and keeping the source secret, then
>the GPL would be an impediment.

It is the only business model that has been shown to be viable.

>  Perhaps the original author would be
>willing to offer you the program under some other conditions, perhaps in
>exchange for a share of the rewards.  Wouldn't that be fair?

It is more fair, and far more ethical, than attacking others' livelihoods!
I often purchase "canned" libraries for my programming work. One of my
favorites is Microhelp Muscle, which I use to this day even though it is
no longer sold.

--Brett