Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:18:14 -0500
From:      Brad <brad@comstyle.com>
To:        "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT - Quagga/CARP

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 11:51:44PM +0100, Bart Van Kerckhove wrote:
> > Heh. At first I read this and wasn't sure what ECMP was, I've never
> > seen anyone use that acronym before.
>
> Hmm, sorry if I used a non-common term there, it's the only abbreviation i
> know of ;>

I have always just used the expanded form. :)

> > The code Itojun commited to the
> > OpenBSD tree consisted of code to add multipath support for radix
> > trees. The routing code still needs to be modified to use this new
> > support though.
> >

> > radix tree with multipath support.  from kame.  deraadt ok
> > user visible changes:
> > - you can add multiple routes with same key (route add A B then route
> > add A C)
> > - you have to specify gateway address if there are multiple entries
> >   on the table (route delete A B, instead of route delete A)
> > kernel change:
> > - radix_node_head has an extra entry
> > - rnh_deladdr takes extra argument
>
> I have looked into KAME before, and was puzzled to see it was in KAME, but
> not in *bsd :->

There are lots of things in the KAME CVS repo that has not been integrated
into any of the *BSD's.

> > TODO:
> > - actually take advantage of multipath (rtalloc -> rtalloc_mpath)
> >

> > http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/net/radix.c
> > http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/net/radix_mpath.c
>
> I have no kernel coding experience whatsoever. How hard would it be to merge
> this with freebsd?

I am not a FreeBSD developer or even a user for that matter so I cannot really
comment. Andre would probably be the best person to comment on how much work
would be required to integrate this code.