Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 18:51:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Richard Foulk <richard@pegasus.com>, schofiel@xs4all.nl, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strong opinions, anyone?

On Monday, 29 June 1998 at 23:14:13 -1000, Richard Foulk wrote:

>> On the following bits of kit:
>>
>> Tandberg TDC 4220 2.0 G Tape streamer
>> Exabyte EXB-8200TS 2.5 G Tape streamer
>> Fujitsu M295X 4.5 G Disk
>>
>> Any opinions?
>
> The Exabyte 8200's are cheap,

I'd consider them relatively expensive.  DDS drives are much cheaper
in Europe.  The 8200 is also pretty old now.

> reliable

Relatively unreliable.  This is old technology (full height stuff).
The more recent drives are much better.

> and have the lowest media cost of just about any backup device.

Well, I have to agree about something :-)

If you want Exabyte, I've heard of some 8700s going cheap in various
places.  In view of the improvements recently in the drum life of
helical scan tapes, I'd be inclined to go for a more recent one.

Greg