Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:22:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How important is "the OS?"

Well, I think that computers & the software that runs on 'em are,
essentially, tools.

Some tools are more powerful than others -- compare, say, a handsaw vs.
a jigsaw vs. a table saw vs. one of the monstrosities that's used to do
the rough trimming of recently-felled logs.

I suggest that placing someone without adequate training in front of
some of those devices, and expecting same person to accomplish useful
work without endagering him- or herself (or others) is naive and
foolish.

And merely operating tools safely isn't enough; it is also important to
understand how the tools are best used, if one is to be able to use the
tools to their potential.

Sure, there are some folks who will continue to use butter-knives as
screwdrivers, and screwdrivers as chisels; that doesn't mean that this
is A Good Thing, and it doesn't mean that everyone else should do that,
too (especially in the case of using the butter-knife as a screwdriver
for a connection on a live circuit).

Folks who absolutely insist on being ignorant of the tools that they use
may be able to get by on dumb luck (or paying someone who does know); in
the mean time, I will try my best to help folks who want to know their
tools how they work.  And yes, sometimes it helps (me, at least) to
understand the Way Things Are by having knowledge of how they got that
way.

I also believe that setting things up so that a naive person is able to
avoid data corruption or loss merely statistically (vs. proper system
design) ought, at the very least, be actionable on the grounds that the
system was obviously unfit for the purpose(s) intended.

Then again, I'm sometimes a bit radical... and I should point out that
these are strictly personal opinions, and have no relationship to
opinions (if any) held by folks who might represent Whistle (of whom I
am not one).

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621