Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:44:52 -0400
From:      Glenn Sieb <ges+lists@wingfoot.org>
To:        "ORACLE ." <oracleandoracle@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NEED HELP WITH VERSION OF FREE BSD!!!

ORACLE . said the following on 7/5/2004 3:29 PM:

>Hey i have dowloaded freebsd 5.2.1 for amd because i have amd k-6 II  from the following site ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/5.2.1/

You just want the i386 version. amd64 is for the AMD Athlon64 series of
chips, of which the K6-2 isn't... :-/

>i have downloaded ""5.2.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso"" this file please tell me how to burn it on r-cd to make it bootable free bsd cd and also do i need other files in this ftp folder

I can't answer this question, as you have not provided us with what OS
you're using now, or better yet, what CD burning program. Most of them
will support burning "disc images" to CD, which is all an .iso is...
just check the documentation or help system for your burning program.

>i mean "5.2.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso" and "5.2.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc2.iso" if i do need these files can you tell me how to burn them on the r-cd i mean which Sequence and also the file i downloaded ""5.2.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso""  does it have all the packages i need to run a system.....

Disc1 is the installation CD. It has everything you need to get a
FreeBSD system installed and running on a network. All packages are
available via the Ports system (at some point it will ask if you'd like
to install the Ports system--make sure you say yes :) )

Disc 2 is a live filesystem CD--this is used for repairs and such of a
damaged FreeBSD system.

I'd guess that bootonly would just be a freebsd bootable CD...?

In any case, you should be fine with just disc1

Best,
Glenn

          ~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

(Remember--July 30th is System Administrator Appreciation Day!
http://www.sysadminday.com/ Wishlists at http://www.wingfoot.org/~ges/)