Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:19:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Stanaford <rsstan@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer  kernels

--- Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com> wrote:

> I think the buildkernel and installkernel have been "promoted" to a
> function they are not designed for. I don't think these targets are fit
> to be "the only supported" targets and should not be advocated nor
> evaluated as such.

So we will have to continue to be judicious in the use of buildkernel...  i.e
only in the context of tracking changes committed to STABLE.  Changes to the
local system, such as hardware upgrades, will require rebuilding the kernel
with the "old" method.  Right?

In other words, is now more than one way to hang ourselves.  We just need to
make sure to choose the correct rope.  *snicker*  8-)

-Richard