Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:23:50 -0400
From:      Jason Breitman <jbreitman@zxcvm.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Differences in reporting by du df and usedbydataset

There are many open files as the server is a file server and I can see =
60 files open that have been deleted.
9 of those files belong to the user that I detailed below.

Weekly zpool scrubs are run.

I appreciate your response, but am not convinced that those 9 files add =
up to the 18 GB difference for the user below.
I can see the size of the files from lsof which adds up to just over 1 =
MB.

Jason Breitman
jbreitman@zxcvm.com

On Apr 15, 2014, at 9:09 AM, Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 08:25:51AM -0400, Jason Breitman wrote:
> I have not received a reply to my question and wanted to post again so =
that the group could see the question again.
>=20

Are there any open files on the filesystem?  fstat or lsof should tell =
you,
I think.

Files thare are open but that have been deleted show up in df but not =
du.
That is not unique to zfs.

If there are no open files I'm not sure what else to suggest.  Does a =
scrub
pass OK?

Regards,

Gary

>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Mar 26, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Jason Breitman <jbreitman@zxcvm.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> The different disk usage measurements are frequently discussed and =
most of the time snapshots are the source of confusion.
> I use refquota to avoid this confusion for user based file systems, =
but can not explain the below reports and hope you can help.
>=20
> Why is there an ~18 GB difference between du and df / usedbydataset?
> I included additional information so that you can see that used =3D =
usedbysnapshots + usedbydataset and that there are no reservations.