Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 22:37:46 -0400
From:      Jian Peng <jaypeng@crab.rutgers.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
Subject:   ed0: device timeout

Hello all,

I have been trying to get a pcmcia ethernet card to work with FreeBSD
2.2.6-RELEASE for months, and I have no luck yet. Hopefully someone will
help me out.
My laptop is a Acer Extensa 392c with Texas Instrument PCI Cardbus 1250
Controller. The two cards I tried are DAYNA Communicard E and ACCTON
EN2216-2. Both are NE2000 clone and on the PAO supporting list. I bought
the ACCTON card 2 weeks ago. Mr. Sizemore succeeded in getting a ACCTON
EN2216 (don't know -1 or -2) to work with a Acer Extensa 390 so I had
lots of hope on this one. (about the difference: I think the 392c and
390 are quite the same; ACCTON EN2216-1 is a 10Base-T model, ACCTON
EN2216-2 is a 10BaseT and 10Base2 Duo, autodetect under win95). What he
did is installing PAO patch by default and it works immediately.
I tried the same thing, either card was probed successfully. Name of the
card and right physical address was displayed. Then when I brought the
card up, I would always have a "ed0: device timeout" message. I even
could not ping my gateway.
There are someting I have tried:
I tried to change the port, irq for pcic0 and ed0. First I tried to
follow all the information given by win95, then I found it makes no
difference. One interesting thing is: under win95, the controller is on
irq 9 and ethercard is on irq 10. However under FreeBSD, the only way I
got the card probed is assigning them the same irq. I tried irq 10 and
irq 5 and I can not tell the difference. Though under win95 my build-in
sound card uses the irq 5.
So please help. If you need more information about my computer, please
email me at jaypeng@crab.rutgers.edu.
Thank you!

Jay

P.S This guy has a fabulous collection: http://www.tec.puv.fi/~s99137/