Date:      Sat, 03 Aug 1996 09:26:53 -0400
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, wangel@wgrobez1.remote.louisville.edu
Subject:   Re: FlashPoint LT

> >> Does FreeBSD support the Buslogic FlashPoint LT ?
>
> >BusLogic will not release programming information on the FlashPoint SCSI
> >controller.  They have given the Linux BusLogic driver author good support
> >for their other SCSI controllers.
>
> Actually, the API to their older cards is quite open, and anyone can
> get the documents -- they did nothing special (as far as I know -- I
> have the Technical Reference Manual myself) for the Linux folks in
> this respect.

Well, BusLogic senior management have met with the Linux driver author
regarding Linux and free software support for the FlashPoint.  BusLogic
also used the Linux driver author for Beta-testing the BT-948/958
with Linux before the products were brought to market.  The author has
also received support from the BusLogic technical staff.

> >There is an upgrade plan (instigated
> >by the Linux driver author) to replace the FlashPoint with one of their
> >other controllers that are supported by Linux.  I believe the upgrade
> >cost to a better controller is in the $25-45 (US) range.  Contact BusLogic
> >and tell them you're running Linux.
>
> I think it would be better to specifically make the point that you are
> running free "unix" and it is *not* Linux.  I really dislike the fad
> of Linux being used as the generic term for free "unix".  Then point
> out that FreeBSD (and NetBSD) has supported their older cards very
> faithfully through the years, and you would like it if FreeBSD could
> continue to support their cards.  After that is said, say that FreeBSD
> is "like" Linux, and the same deal that works for Linux will work for
> you.

I agree :).  I just thought it would be easier to get an upgrade if you
mentioned "Linux".