Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:40:35 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/38225: change "CDROM" to "CD-ROM"

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 05:20:03PM -0700, Trevor Johnson wrote:
[...]

As you could notice, before closing the PR i submitted a follow-up, with
no answers from others and from you. Maybe the time i gave was short,
but i'm quite sure that no one was on the way to answer :)))
I'm happy that the close make at least on person move :)

>  Before I submitted this PR, I was advised in a private e-mail that I
>  should "launch a campaign to change the word-list of the FDP."  If this PR

-doc exists to talk about these problems. I can't guess what people do
in private.

>  is not the proper way to do so, please let me know what the procedure is.
>  My correspondent told me that the existence of Walnut Creek CDROM was a
>  factor in the choice of "CDROM" over "CD-ROM."  A (probably related)
>  factor was that "CDROM" already outnumbered "CD-ROM," so it was easier to
>  change to the incorrect spelling.  With the company's unfortunate demise,
>  the decision should be reconsidered.

As i said in my follow-up, it was an old choice and when it was time
(look at commit logs url i gave in my previous mail) to take care about
it no one did.

Concerning FreeBSD CDs, http://www.freebsdmall.com/ still use CDROM: for
example http://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/fm/bsdtool or CD set.

I took interest in the problem cause during translation; i wondered if i
had to keep CDROM or use CD-ROM. Finally, i kept CDROM cause i saw it as
a choice and as one from "history".

Let's do a list of "words with problem", maybe a PR is not mandatory for
that, post it on -doc. I will work on it, since i'm trying to respect
words and my past thing about IPsec or PC Card can show that interest.
In that domain, my goal is to see people from src/ respect words even in
code comments, i know maybe it's crazy and too much :) but it's the way
to have something consistent.

So i'm waiting for the list :)

Marc