Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:29:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@interface-business.de>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please review a change to lock(1)

Maybe you could see if it's PPID becomes 1 as init inherits it as an
orphan from the dead parent process. I would *definately* syslog the error
as a simple error *could* be an attempt to trick lock. Some programs
deserve paranoia due to their use and level of users' blind trust. - Jy@

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, J Wunsch wrote:
> i think everybody's happy when seeing those dead processes running
> around forever, eating up all CPU time -- since they are too stupid to
> notice the tty they're trying to read from is gone.  lock(1) is one of
> those culprits, as i just noticed.  You can easily prove this by
> logging into a plain tty, starting "lock -np", and killing the shell
> e. g. with SIGABRT (or SIGKILL to be sure).  The shell is gone, but
> lock is still there, trying to lock nothing now...
	[ ... wish more folks would trim posts ... ]