Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:56:34 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, nsayer@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware hints (was Re: VMware locks up 4.0-CURRENT ...)

>> 1. If you cvsup, you should rebuild the vmware port. On a couple of
>> occasions, I have gotten bizarre vmware panics, and this has solved
>> them.
> erk, but not a big issue ...
VMware is a first freebsd port, which include kernel modules, so
it's by definition very depend from kernel sources.

>> 2. If you have the linuxulator as a module, do not unload it without
>> unloading vm*.ko first, and probably also linprocfs and rtc. Those
>> modules all appear to hook in to the linuxulator, and if you rip it
>> out from under them you may panic the machine. I've seen it. :-)
> We have vmware as a proper port now (needs to be upgraded, mind you)...how
> about getting linprocfs and rtc in before the ports freeze for 4.0?
linprocfs is ready as a port, so it can be committed. But its code is very
depend from from other FreeBSD subsystem, and it may be slightly annoying
to continually maintain it up to date (BTW I'm not the author of linprocfs
code). As a simple solution this port can be temporary committed to the time
of the 4.0 Release, or just added check of the kernel version.

About rtc code, it'll be included in the next release of vmware port,
this will be probably after 4.0 Release.
This code doesn't provide additional functionality, just some kind
applications have a slightly better appearance.

--
Vladimir Silyaev