Date:      Sun, 03 Feb 2002 11:04:24 +0000
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

Said Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > I'm going to the trouble of doing it now because we'll have to do it
> > eventually.  It is sufficiently painful that I may stop doing it for
> > the larger src.bin, src.sbin directories.
>
> You probably have at least 30 years to change them.  Look at how long
> it took to convert K&R code (13 years so far).  I expect code that
> assumes the C90 standard will take even longer to convert to C99.
> standard to live much longer.  There is much more of it, and fewer
> reasons to convert.  Say 15 years.  Then another 15 to convert C99...
>
> > At some point we're going to have to do this, why not now.  I know
> > that standard is a bit vague about the timeframe, but I suspect that
>
> It costs too much to convert old (working) code IMO.

If it can be done easily (willingly), I see no reason that we should
not be part of the solution instead of the problem. (Perhaps that
should be "solution" and "problem"). Anyway, we pride ourselves on
being better than anyone else (or at least we should!), and setting
a forward-looking precedent like this is an excellsent idea.

Code gets copied, and if good code gets copied, then more good code
gets created.

o       Mark Murray
\_      FreeBSD Services Limited
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn