Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:25:40 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RTC (stat clock) does not generate interrupts ?!?!

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:

> Definitely, the Dell Inspiron 3700 C433GT is one of those machines
> that have a broken statclock. I would like to know what does this mean,
> but, anyway, these are the facts. Rats.

It meant that statclock interrupts woke up the system, so the system
couldn't stay suspended if the statclock were used.  Nohing to do with
your problem.

> Then, for "solving" the suspend problems, the apm device must be
> compiled with flags 0x20, as stated in LINT.
>
> I don't know what are the consequences of the missing statclock for
> the system. I suppose that profiling won't work, but... any more effects?

Decomposition of time into user/nice/system/interrupt/idle components will
be less accurate.  Unfair processes will have an easier time implementing
unfair scheduling.  Resource usage statistics will be less accurate.
Profiling will work but will be less accurate.

Bruce