Date:      Wed,  4 Aug 1999 18:11:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Russell.Ingram@sandiegoca.ncr.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern/12979: Response time continually slows on idle machine, PIII processors on version 3.2

>Number:         12979
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Response time continually slows on idle machine, PIII processors on version 3.2
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have a Intel brand server machine with 2 - 500 Mhz Xeon processors one GigBYTE RAM, 4 Gig Swap, Adaptec 2940, Symbios controller (on board but disabled).

With the GENERIC kernel fresh after install the machine slowed to a crawl after one day (mostly sitting idle). The next day it didn't respond within 5 minutes. A powerdown and reboot brought it back to life with the same results. The one unusual thing I saw with a "ps -axv" was that the rpc.statd took 262968 K BYTEs of virtual space (on my 2.6 systems this is 176 K Bytes). I compiled xperfmon3 and viewed what it would tell me and got nothing unusual even when things got slow. I can send a jpeg or gif of the xperfmon window.

I generated an SMP Kernel and I'm seeing the same thing.

What should I be using to see where the kernel is spending it's time.

I also have a Dell (PII with 128 M-BYTEs) running FreeBSD 2.6 that slows after about a week. However, all my system with 64 M-BYTES or less can run for months without problems. Neither of the larger RAM systems have the KERNEL option to say how much memory they have, but they recognize the RAM during boot.

Thanks Russ
If you have problems with my NCR email address use rfi@home.com

>How-To-Repeat:
Leave the system on for a day. The system is idle most of the time.