Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2013 18:09:37 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT/ipfw blocking internal traffic

On 10/30/13 05:57, Casey Scott wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My NAT and ipfw ruleset follow almost exactly what is given at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/firewalls-ipfw.html
>
> The problem I'm encountering is that a portion of my outbound internal traffic is being blocked by ipfw. This is a fresh Freebsd installaion, so I'm kind of at a loss since the config matches the handbook. Any suggestions are appreciated.

 From what I have gathered the handbook is getting out of date -
particularly in this area. Try the IPFW list (they're very helpful and
rather quick to respond), but try checking the scripts in /etc first.
Man should be up to date too.

You should find some generic settings such as OPEN, SECURE, etc in the
scripts /etc. Just set the rc.conf to use those, and season to taste ;)

HTH