Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 08:24:06 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@stmail.pace.edu>
Subject:   Re: 3.5 vs. 4.0

[Try to wrap your lines. You put everything on one single line.]

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 08:48:21AM -0400, Jonathan Slivko wrote:
> And what are the new features in that release that I should be waiting for that are not present in FreeBSD 3.5 or 4.0? Also, do you know where I can get the -STABLE tree for 3.5? I wanna update my systems to it. I will not run anything on my production machines that is not -STABLE if there is a -STABLE tree available. Thanks. If someone could send me a cvsup file with all the required information, I would be most appreciative.

Note that a -RELEASE, when the second digit is non-zero, is simply a
snapshot of the -STABLE branch with a little extra attention on making
sure everything is in a consistent state. For production machines, I
think most would agree that the safest thing to do is start with a
-RELEASE version and move to a more recent -STABLE version only if
there is a compelling reason (security fix, other bug fix, a new
functionality that you want, etc.).

In other words, a -RELEASE version is most the likely to work with no
problems. And once you have that going, don't fix what ain't broke.
That's why the 2.2.8-STABLE mailserver at my last job is still
chugging away today. The hardware will be the first to give out on
that thing.