Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:36:51 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FAQ recommends older Nemeth book

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

On 2001-04-22 03:13 +1000, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au> wrote:
> At http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/preface.html (as viewed just now) the
> last book listed under #BOOKS is very good, but our information about
> it is out of date.
>=20
> Changes:
>=20
> The current edition is the third edition, which has a different
> coloured cover. (Sorry, I don't have one handy)
>=20
> The price would not be the same any more. ISTR paying about $150 for it
> here in Australia, but I couldn't guess what it costs elsewhere.

The third edition has a purple cover, and costs $57.25 (or $68.00
from Amazon), as seen here:

http://mall.daemonnews.org/?page=3Dshop/flypage&product_id=3D803

> I don't recall whether or not any of its other authors have changed.

The authors are the same.
=20
> A big difference is that in the third edition everything is explained
> in terms of four representative types of unix, FreeBSD being one of
> them.=20
=20
Solaris, HP/UX, FreeBSD, and Linux.
=20
> > Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass & Trent R. Hein, `Unix System
> > Administration Handbook'', Prentice-Hall, 1995 ISBN:
> > 0-13-151051-7

UNIX System Administration Handbook
by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass, Trent R. Hein
Paperback - 853 pages 3nd edition (August 2000)
Prentice Hall PTR; ISBN: 0130206016 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.30 x
9.23 x 7.06

Again, if you're looking to purchase this book, one of the places
you could buy it is here:

http://mall.daemonnews.org/?page=3Dshop/flypage&product_id=3D803

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter              If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org=20
http://www.zer0.org/~gsutter/=20
hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net/0x845DFEDD

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB