Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:54:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael DuFresne <vdue@zen.tc>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and what 802.11b

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, David Wolfskill wrote:

> Just because you're using a Cisco PCMCIA card does *not* mean that you
> necessarily need to use a Cisco AP -- or *any* AP, for that matter.  The
> whole point of the "Wi-Fi" branding is so folks can have some degree of
> assurance that the products will interoperate.  (The crack about "any
> AP" refers to the possiblity of using a pair of cards, one in an ISA (or
> PCI?) adapter, in ad-hoc mode.)

I looked at the possibilty of using one of my servers as the AP for
the laptop, but the info on setting this up is a bit sketchy regarding
some of the aspects. PCI v ISA, and which cards are supported in this
configuration. From the BAWUG page, I did find the info on how to
setup the FreeBSD base station, but it references the ISA setup.

My server doesn't have any ISA slots. 8-) (Abit VP6 w/4.3-STABLE)

> (At home, I use an Apple AirPort AP with the Cisco/Aironet cards.)

I was considering the Linksys WAP11, but I recall reading that the
configure options aren't password protected. This seems like a pretty
serious flaw to me. Too bad, as the WAP11 was pretty cheap.

> Well, that depends.  :-}  (You probably could reasonably have expected
> that "answer".)

Hehe. That answer _always_ applies to *nix.

> What I do is use CVSup to maintain a local CVS repository.  And by doing
> that, I can hack my own /usr/src tree as much as I want, and as long as
> I have a running system, I can blow stuff away and get it back to
> "normal" pretty easily.
>
> Before doing things this way, I had tried just using CVSup to update my
> sources, and that proved to be rather annoying.  Maybe there's some
> "trick" to it, but having my own mirrored FreeBSD repository appears to
> be a far easier approach.

Not being a developer, much less having the ability to do anything but
the most basic editing of source code (and I do mean basic....), I
usually pretty careful about messing about with my sources. Usually,
cvsup is run from cron on a regular basis. My question was whether or
not adding in the patches would confuse cvsup, or if cvsup would just
clobber the original files.

> >I'm in Walnut Creek.
>
> Eh; that's what I get for trying to ascribe geography to TLDs.  I should
> know better by now; sorry.  :-}  There's a BAWUG meeting Thursday of
> this week.  (The meeting is in Redwood City this time; I'd plan to
> attend, but I have a prior committment.)

What can I say; register.com, it was cheap...

> For my home stuff, I'm using WEP (though it's weak, I fancy it may
> provide some deterrent), as well as restricting the AP to talking only
> with cards that use MAC addresses I list for it (though the MAC address
> can be changed at will, again, I fancy it is some deterrent), and I use
> SSH for any communication from the laptop to any machines where I get
> shell prompts.
>
> Hope this is of some use,
> david

As long as the standards are, well, standard, then any AP should work
with any card? I'm assuming, then, that the cisco cards and AP provide
a bit of additional functionality?

Then again, if its all insecure, perhaps the additional functionality
isn't worth the cost...

Mike

--
Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras
is finite. This ...is wrong tool.