Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 09:41:05 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop), freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Laptop 4MB RAM 486 CPU

In message <200105031331.JAA00559@scarlet.my.domain> User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas writes:
: 	Is there a way to install without sysinstall.  In netbsd I can drop into
: a shell and run fdisk, swapctl, and then disklabel to get the disk set up
: with partitions and swap space to take some of the load off of the small
: memory.  If I compiled a small kernel on my workstation using only the
: components in the laptop and getting rid of everything but the bare
: essentials I believe I could but this small kernel on a floppy and maybe do
: it that way(there was a thread on this in questions referring to an article
: at FreeBSDDiary, I'll have to check it out).  Of course all of this depends
: on whether I can install sans sysinstall.  Has anyone done an install without
: it?  This would be like doing FreeBSD from scratch(sounds like a good learning
: experience).

I routinely do the following:
	pull the disk from the system I want FreeBSD to run in.
	put it in a desktop
	fdisk/disklabel it
	mount it (/new)
	cd /usr/src
        make -f Makefile.inc1 hierarchy DESTDIR=/new
	cd etc
	make distribution DESTDIR=/new
	cd ..
	make installworld DESTDIR=/new