Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:44:13 -0300
From:      "Carlos F. A. Paniago" <pan@panix.ecof.org.br>
To:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ugly Java dependency in OOo

Roman Kennke wrote:

>Am Sa, den 31.07.2004 schrieb Dmitry Morozovsky um 11:42:
>

>>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Roman Kennke wrote:
>>
>>RK> I just wanted to build OOo from ports and found that it depends on the
>>RK> FreeBSD native JDK. The problem I see here is, that this requires me to
>>RK> agree to the Sun Community Source License, which is indeed a very crazy
>>RK> license. I worked around this by just symlinking
>>RK> /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2 to /usr/local/jdk1.4.2 and it works
>>RK> equally well. So why not make the OOo port depends on that JDK? Or even
>>RK> better: on the Blackdown-Linux-JDK, so that the user doesn't have to be
>>RK> interrupted and required to download an installer?
>>RK>
>>RK> Of course, I think the best thing would be to leave out these Java
>>RK> dependencies altogether. This is what Debian and Fedora people do. They
>>RK> have patches for that.
>>RK>
>>RK> But for now, I propose to change dependencies on jdk14 to
>>RK> linux-sun-jdk14, which is no big deal IMO, since building jdk14 also
>>RK> requires the linux-jdk.
>>
>>Then at least it should be made optional, because _now_ linux-jdk is required
>>for building native jdk, not OO, and thus we would break the ability to build
>>OO without linux binary compatibility.
>>

>yes. This is not what I am worried about. I don't like to agree to the
>Sun Community Source License, which is required in order to build the
>native JDK. I would rather like to go with linux binary compatibility.
>

>>And, yes, OO dependencies *are* a bit fragile regarding to versions: gcc and
>>jdk are only the most visible ones.
>>

>Yes, I believe that this is not an easy task.
>
>BTW: I have checked the situation in NetBSD, it seems that they also
>have OOo without any Java dependency:
>
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/misc/openoffice/README.html
>
>Kind regards,
>Roman

I have a differente opinion. I prefer to use native ports e not to use
"linux modules". In that way I prefer to have the native jdk (or the
diablo one) not the linux one.
If posisble the jdk/jre could be an option (to chose with ou without any
kind of jdk/jre that is available). But I don't know how to do this in
the ports. The people that are doing the outstanding work to have a port
of Openoffice in FreeBSD could consider this?

Paniago

--
Nome:  Carlos Fernando Assis Paniago
Email: pan@panix.ecof.org.br		e	pan@cnpm.embrapa.br