Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:35:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, John Kelly wrote:
> Why is it a shame to lose users who don't pay anything for the
> software in the first place?  How much money have you donated to the
> developers of FreeBSD?

You might not care, but maybe it implies that there was actually a better
way to do something. I'm talking about long term loss of users here, short
term just doesn't count.

> >From: "John S. Dyson"
> >Let's all try to be kinder and gentler.  We all understand that SMP is an
> >important feature, but also we shouldn't be inviting people away :-(.
>
> A FreeBSD developers fund might not be a bad idea.  Successful ISPs
> who use FreeBSD should be willing to support it.  I'm not a FreeBSD
> developer, so I have no axe to grind.  But I do programming for hire
> and recognize the value of my time.

Successful ISPs probably count for a large proportion of people
contributing back to FreeBSD, either in constructive criticism (even if
it's not wanted) or code.

[But then I don't work for a succesful ISP, and I've contributed nothing]

> The vast majority of non-contributing users would have little right to
> complain about features.  $39 for a CD-ROM is not a "contribution."

Complaints offer opportunities you sound like you treat them as personal
attacks.

I'd be happy to try to get the management here to pay more for a CD-ROM,
but after naming it _FreeBSD_ there's a little bit of a problem with that.

	Steve.

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342