Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:04:00 +0100
From:      Alex Le Heux <alexlh@funk.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   weird things happening

Hi,

My machine has been experiencing mysterious hangs for the past week. At first
I suspected Luigi's new drivers, or the soundcard (as that was the last thing
I had modified), but they both turned out to be innocent. Investigation
indicated that it would freeze the moment it tried to swap.

I emailed to freebsd-current about this, and John Dyson responded saying that
there were several patches to the vm system underway. The vm system is way
beyond me, so after looking at it for a while I decided to wait for those
patches.

Today however I noticed something interesting. This might be normal
behaviour, if so, I would like to know what causes it.

While running without swap, in 48 mb, trying to stress the memory system,
I fired up: X, afterstep, two copies of netscape and two copies of wp7 (yuch).

The machine slowed down to a crawl. Even moving the mouse from one side of
the screen to the other took about 30 seconds. I had top running in an xterm,
and it would update that window at the blazing speed of about 2 chars/sec.

The load hovered somewhere around 5.

After killing one of the netscapes everything returned to normal.

During all this there was no disk activity whatsoever.

If this is normal behaviour, I'd be interested in knowing what the system
is so busy with, and if it's not, someone else might be interested in hearing
about this, hence my post.

Cheers,

Alex

--
<HTML><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type:text/html"> <SCRIPT>
function X() {parent.close();};