Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:53:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Arlen Fletcher <fletcher@paccar.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

At 08:43 AM 6/25/96 -0700, you wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

[snip]

>Ok, this is jb. First off all this copied from here to their as root
>didn't happen. I gave this fella an account knowing more than likely if
>we had a hole he would find it. Unfortunately I wasn't watching his tty
>when he actually used whatever exploit he used. He obviously used a
>setuid exploit so I suggest that there is a New exploit out abusing a
>setuid program somewhere on the system because I know vince fixed the
>mount_union and current fixed the old ypwhich hack. Or actually maybe not
>so old for some of you, but either way I did have to give him an account
>before he could do anything. However, once inside it took him 2 minutes
>and he was root. I know for a fact it was his FIRST look inside the

Did you by any chance check the history file?  I presume he vaporized it,
but you never know....

Of course it's 20/20 hindsight, but copying the history file somewhere
else when you see a user doing something bizarre (like becomming root)
might be worth thinking about in the future.

Opinions expressed in this message are mine and not  necessarily
those of my employer.
Arlen Fletcher N7YIM
fletcher@paccar.com