Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 1996 21:14:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default paper size

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Thomas Gellekum wrote:

> John Fieber wrote:
> > I'm thinking of clever ways to set the paper size.  Basically
> >
> > if (LANG is not set, or LANG == en_US.*)
> >   use US Letter
> > else
> >   use a4
> >
> > Would this work for most people?  Of course, there would be a
> > manual override.
>
> How about $PAPERSIZE? $LANG has too many side effects, IMHO.

Is PAPERSIZE a commonly used environment variable?  More common
than LANG or LC_*?

My goal is to make an intelligent guess about the default in the
*absence* of an *explicit* statement on the part of the user. I
thought that LANG, although imperfect, might provide the best
guess.  It also strikes me that knowing which timezone file is in
use could be even more accurate.

Is there a big penalty for having LANG set if you don't really
need it?  If not, maybe the installation procedure should prompt
for a default, then the LANG variable would be a more reliable
indication.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================