Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:54:04 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdisp@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        ernie@eis.net.au (Ernie Elu)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Methods of keeping current with 2.2

> > and there you go after a while. what comes to the cvsupfile, well, it
> > can not be that hard.
> >
> > once you've been assimilated to cvsup you dont want to drop it.
> Well I installed cvsup, ran supconv on my stable-supfile and did a cvsup -L2
> cvs-supfile, it ran for hours and produced a directory callev SVSROOT with
> everfile in it ending with ,v

uh oh. you didnt have the tag at all and drew the whole CVS tree...

well, not you can checkout any version you want. =)

> Now what do I do with it?

well.

since i dont know what kinnd of supfile you have, and even though there is
also example on the handbook, here's what i use for the supfile...

i have it named into /etc/cvsup.freebsd.org but that's irrelevant

-- snip --

# cvsupfile

*default tag=RELENG_2_2		# i think you wanted the 2.2-STABLE
*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup			# create this
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress

src-all

src-eBones  # if you live outside states, take this from internat.freebsd.org
src-secure  # if you live outside states, take this from internat.freebsd.org

# correct form for that is (i think it is, never used myself)
#src-eBones host=internat.freebsd.org
#src-secure host=internat.freebsd.org

# i assume that this should be done like this rather than just 'ports-all'
# since now you are actually drawing the -current (maintained) ports,
# though anyone with proper knowledge, direct me, please

ports-all tag=.

-- snip--

ofcourse, since you already have the whole CVS tree, you can just checkout,
but i'm not sure how that happens... someone else has to help you with
that.

i'd suggest rm -rf:in the CVSROOT, you dont need it. and running the cvsup
again this time having the tag there too... that way it'd manipulate
your source tree directly. wont last too long. and with x on you can
have a nice interface. with x you need only 'cvsup supfile' another way
is without the x, 'cvsup -g -L 2 supfile' -g being the flag to disable x
in case you do it on x-capable machine (like on xterm). i still prefer
the x interface though, it's informative.

list of tags is on handbook, section 17.2

mickey