Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 15:17:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

In lists.freebsd.isp you write:

>Eddie Fry wrote in message ID
><3357FEE5.4DBB@eaznet.com>:
>> I am in TOTAL agreement.  I don't think anyone's going to lose customers
>> because they don't keep this junk on a local drive.  If anything, change
>> your focus from "WE GIVE YOU EVERYTHING A SMUT-LOVER WOULD WANT" to "WE
>> GIVE YOU FASTER ACCESS AND DOWNLOAD SPEEDS" because we don't jam our
>> lines with smut.

>Sorry, you lose. I know from experience :-( Customers have left
>webspan (the ISP I currently work for) because I had troubles with
>hard drive reliability in the early days and they went elsewhere to
>get their porn. And they were porn suckers, believe me. ALL the people
>who phoned to complain about the server being down, when cornered by
>tech. support, admitted that they were after a.b.p.e, even one who
>started out saying ``When is the news server gonna be back, my
>business depends on it!''. He never posted a thing, he just read.

Hell, a very large percentage of ISP customers are using it for pornography.
Sex sells, always has, always will.  The news statistics SHOW it, what, in the
top 100 read newsgroups 90% are alt.binaries.* related.  If you dont carry
those groups, you lose/dont get customers, period.

-Crh
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich