Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 20:15:16 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

Huh...I went out some time and now I find this thread..heh..we are all
subscribed to -chat so I'll cut the CC's from now on.

Arun Sharma wrote:

> Are you implying that communism and free speech are antonyms ? I think,
> communism and free speech are quite compatible, at least in theory.

In practice they are. If communism enforces the good for the group over
the desires of the individuals, evidently there can be no freedom of
speech.

Both the GPL and Communism are effective in seeing the forrest but
neglecting the value of the tree.

> Sure, GNU bashing in *BSD groups should be toned down and I think, the
> same energies should be redirected towards educating the joe programmer
> (is FreeBSD a version of Linux ? type) about the harms that GPL does.

There is no hate implied when I say the GPL sucks..the authors of the
code have the best intentions but they are simply misguided.

One of our best economists here commented that the fall of communism was
actually bad because there was no way now to "measure the oil" behind
(compare with) capitalism.  I think GNU bashing IS good; it actually
encourages people at both camps to write better code.

I also think it's prefectly sane to reflect on the license issues. I am
a Mechanical Engineer so I can be wrong, but I doubt any University goes
over the moral issues behind software and the license issues.

Politics is never just red vs. blue, and war for OS supremacy would be
too simple if it were only a linux vs M$, type of war.

cheers,

     Pedro.