Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 20:08:16 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Latest News from the "Front-lines"

Do we have any really big  servers such as DejaNews or Web Servers
with equivalent functionality as DejaNews?

	Tnks,
	Amancio

      Our site serves about 4 million pageviews per day from 9 CGI servers.
Our CGIs are radically more complex than most people's.

      As far as static documents go, they can each put out about 50 pageviews
per second (which would be much higher than 4 million per day).

      We have certainly taken it far. We operate the world's largest publicly
accessible text database entirely on Linux servers. Our database is about 350
GB of fully indexed text. (find
      any word or combination of words with boolean operators in any document)

      Doing the calculations, each of their servers (dual-processor Pentiums I
read somewhere) can serve approximately 50Gig per day over HTTP, assuming a
15K page size. This
      size was arrived at by sampling a few hits on their server. Again, HTTP
is a different beast than FTP, being made up of many smaller requests for each
page.

      FreeBSD runs the largest FTP site on the Internet; Linux runs the
largest free text database on the Internet.

      I'd say that speaks quite highly of BOTH systems.