Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:46:36 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proper way to make relative links to other docs

On Wed 2001-04-04 (10:27), Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 06:25:53PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > What's the proper way to link from one document to another?
>
> Very good question.
>
> > The FAQ
> > and Handbook generally refer to each other using "../".  This works
> > both ways, and for all kinds of directory structures/layouts.  What's
> > the correct way to link from, say, the PPP primer to the Handbook,
> > though?  With the "/docs/en/books/whatever" layout, "../" still works;
> > that layout doesn't seem to be used, though (it's still on
> > www.freebsd.org, but the current Makefile in www/en doesn't update
> > it).  It doesn't work for the case where the ppp-primer is
> > tutorials/ppp, though; using "../../" seems evil, since that will
> > break for just about any other layout.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> This is one reason why I'd like the docs on the web site to install in
> to a fixed hierarchy.  It makes this issue relatively easy to solve for
> 90% of the cases.
>
> The way you're supposed to do it is to use the OLink element (c.f.,
> ULink, and XRef in DocBook).  The available documentation on OLink is
> relatively sparse;
>
>     http://www.docbook.org/tdg/html/olink.html
>     http://www.nwalsh.com/docbook/dsssl/doc/olinksemantics.html
>
> and we haven't done anything with it (I seem to recall that Neil (nbm)
> looked at this a while ago).

I did indeed.  To properly implement it, we may have to have .olink
files in the repo, at least that was my last remembered thoughts on it.
It will make splitting the handbook and stuff really easy once it's in,
though.  I'll see if I still have the patches I sent nik, or I'll work
out what I did again sometime.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner