Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:21:48 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Not committing WARNS settings...

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 09:09:10PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20020205100414.A44541@xor.obsecurity.org>
>             Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
> : On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 07:20:46AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> : > On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 07:06:54PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> : > > If you use the argument that one shouldn't set WARNS because a new
> : > > compiler will cause the tree to break, then there's no point having it
> : > > at all since that condition will always be true.
> : >
> : > The difference is _impending_.
> :
> : EPARSE.
>
> I think that David is trying to say that "Look guys, I'm this >< close
> to importing gcc3.  It does warnings differently.  Cranking up the
> WARNS level now will get in the way of my work and will lead to
> unnecessary build breakage on some platforms that I don't compile for
> all the time.  Please go ahead and fix the warnings at the higher
> levels, but don't put WARNS=x into the Makefile* until I'm done
> importing things."

Nope, what David was _actually_ trying to say is to hold off with WARNS
fixes until GCC 3.1 becomes our compiler, because otherwise this is an
almost 100% duplicate of efforts, as GCC 3.1 is so WARNS-different from
GCC 2.95.3.  And of course David should add NO_WERROR (but probably to
Makefile.inc1) to avoid world breakage.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,