Date:      Fri, 3 May 1996 08:46:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, koshy@india.hp.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lmbench IDE anomaly

Jonathan M. Bresler stands accused of saying:

> > Jonathan, I was looking at the new Tyan MB's, they say that they use IDE
> > bus mastering, and claim a major speed increase.  I am not sure (I am a
> > SCSI bigot myself) but maybe yours claims of SCSI dominanace over
> > IDE won't be so automatically true shortly.
>
> 	cool.  that would be great.  losts of people dont want
> 	scsi for one reason or another, so if ide gets faster
> 	that all for the better ;)
>
> 	anyone got any "/usr/bin/time make world" restuls for one of
> 	these boards?

You don't understand.  The boards _support_ IDE busmastering, just like every
other Triton board on the market.

But nobody uses it, AFAIK.  There's support for the DMA controller in
-current, all it requires is someone to wade into the 'wd' driver and
add the required code to _use_ it.