Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 12:01:43 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FDP Directory Reorganisation

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 03:31:46PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> Speaking from the perspective of somebody who is new to FreeBSD
> (but who expects to be here for the long haul), I find a problem
> with the distinction between "articles" and "books" -- as I read
> the proposal, the only distinction between these directories is
> that "books" are longer.

Pretty much, yeah.  I'm happy to drop the distinction.

> I quite understand the intention behind this reorganisation, but
> I fear that it may go too far in complexity if the "articles"
> and "books" distinction is retained.  Of course, the underlying
> issue may be that there are too many entries to work well in a
> single directory.  If that is the case, then surely it would be
> better to divide it up by some kind of topic-based plan.

I thought about a topic based approach.  However, there are going to
be some documents that just don't fit under a single topic (the FAQ,
for example).  Actually coming up with those categories is also a
hard problem, and will probably lead to people having to hunt for
a specific piece of documentation trying to guess which category
it's under.

So I decided against organising by topics.

    There's some milk in the fridge about to go off. . . and there it goes.