Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 12:54:25 -0400
From:      "David E Cross (Grindle)" <crossd@kerberos.dmgt01>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CDROM and -stable kernel problems.

(I am normally on this mailing list, but the machine that used to
receive my email is currently off-line so please CC me on any replies
to 'crossd@crd.ge.com')

This is actually 2 disperate problems, contrary to what the subject
line implies...  The first problem regards trying to compile a -stable
kernel (cvsup-ed earlier today), and get errors that it cannot
resolve 'isa_devtab_cam' when loading the kernel (last step), I fixed this
error temporarily by adding 'struct isa_device isa_devtab_cam[] = {0};' to
the ioconf.c file and the kernel compiles and runs OK.. Just to make sure
that nothing 'required' changed I tried compiling the GENERIC kernel and
received the same error message.

The second (and disperate) problem is that I have 2 ide cdrom drives on
the same IDE chain (notrhing else is on the chain, just the drives, one is
master, the other is slave), the BIOS autoscan recognizes both, but FreeBSD
only recognizes one (the master).  Also, when attempting to mount the cdrom
I get the following errors (it does finally mount):

May 18 22:53:27 phoenix /kernel: wcd0: i/o error, status=51<ready,opdone,check>,

and here is the probe line from dmesg:

May 20 08:11:12 phoenix /kernel: wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 flags 0x80ff80ff on isa
May 20 08:11:12 phoenix /kernel: wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <WEARNES CDD-820/B1.0>, removable, dma, iordy
May 20 08:11:12 phoenix /kernel: wcd0: 0Kb/sec, caddy
May 20 08:11:12 phoenix /kernel: wcd0: medium type unknown

(also this is *not* a caddy cdrom)

there is never any probe line from wcd1.

As an additional data-point, here is my kernel config file:

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
ident           PHOENIX
maxusers        25

options         FAILSAFE
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
config          kernel  root on wd0

options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVSEM
options         SYSVMSG
options         "MD5"
options         UCONSOLE
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor

pseudo-device   ether                   #Generic Ethernet
pseudo-device   loop                    #Network loopback device
pseudo-device   bpfilter        4       #Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device   tun             1
pseudo-device   ppp             1

options         INET                    #Internet communications protocols
options         NETATALK                #Appletalk communications protocols

options         FFS                     #Fast filesystem
options         NFS                     #Network File System
options         MSDOSFS                 #MS DOS File System
options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"
options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS
options         "AUTO_EOI_1"
options         "AUTO_EOI_2"

pseudo-device   pty     32      #Pseudo ttys - can go as high as 256
pseudo-device   log             #Kernel syslog interface (/dev/klog)
pseudo-device   gzip            #Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   vn      4       #Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)

controller      isa0

device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
options         MAXCONS=2               # number of virtual consoles

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

options         "CMD640"
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 flags 0x80ff80ff vector wdintr

options         ATAPI   #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          wcd0
device          wcd1
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" iosiz 0x0 flags 0x0 irq 13 vector npxintr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device          psm0    at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr
options         PSM_CHECKSYNC           #checks the header byte for sync.
device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr
device ep1 at isa? port 0x310 net irq 11 vector epintr

controller      pci0

Finally, when I changed the device wcd0 and device wcd1 lines to the
following 'device wcd0	at wdc1 disk 0' and 'device wcd1 at wdc1 disk 1'
I was able to get it to recognize, before the kernel panic-ed with
a 'wdc0 already attached' error message.

--
David Cross
IMS UNIX Support