Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:11:25 +0800
From:      "aLan Tait" <aLan@fil.net>
To:        Jim King <king@sstar.com>
Cc:        alex@aspenworks.com, andrew@pubnix.net, Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>, Sean Michael Whipkey <highway@cstone.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network renumbering (Yack!)

I agree - take the machine down and do it fast!

We built .conf files in advance of "THE DAY"  We built New
DNS files, and started shortening the TTL of the old.  We
sent emails to ALL our customers each day for two weeks
before with a "please reply" (when they replied, we stoped
notifying them, some never did reply).  On "THE DAY" we shut
of the whole system at 12:30AM (about 400 customers ISP).
We turned up each machine one by one, all seven were
completed by two.  We had one proplem, our WinNT email
server didn't work.  It is picky and didn't like the bigger
network... By six am we still didn't have email, so we
backed up the mailboxes and reloaded WinNT, SP5 (we had SP3
before), and the Netscape Messanger Server.  It was online
by eight AM.  Frankly I hate Windows (When? Doze?) and will
soon replace this with a FreeBSD mail server as soon as I
find one that has a nice "Web-Based" Interface!

Good Luck!

--
Filipino Network Solution - Fil.Net