Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:34:24 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Source trees, distributed via CVSup and CTM, are different.

In article <AF57E6BE-DF2D00@204.69.236.50>,
Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 1997 6:33 AM, Dmitrij Tejblum
> <mailto:dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru> wrote:
> >For example, if you use CVSup, the first line of current file
> >src/gnu/usr.bin/patch/inp.c is
> >
> >/* $Header: /home/ncvs/src/gnu/usr.bin/patch/inp.c,v 1.5 1997/03/17
> 01:44:40 jmg
> >Exp $
> >
> >but if you use CTM, it is
> >
> >/* $Header: /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-CVS/src/gnu/usr.bin/patch/inp.c,v 1.5
> 1997/
> >03/17 01:44:40 jmg Exp $
> >
> >It generates a little troubles if moving from CVSup to CTM.

CVSup is "right" because it agrees with the sources in the official
releases.

> [...]
> Short of that, the two distributions will match only if our CVS trees are
> in
> exactly the same place. I don't think that is likely to happen. I know that
>  /home/ncvs/src is not going to happen on my machine and I suspect that
> there are equally valid reasons why /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-CVS/src may
> not be appropriate for the other side.

I thought long and hard about this issue when I was implementing
checkout mode in CVSup.  My conclusion, which I still hold, was that
checked out files must have their RCS keywords expanded "as if" the
checkout had occurred on freefall.  That means that the Header
keyword must expand to something that starts with "/home/ncvs", no
matter where the repository really is.  CVSup has a notion of a
"canonical" repository directory to support that.  I.e., the
physical repository may be anywhere, but the paths in $Header$
and $Source$ keywords will be expanded as if the repository were
in the canonical location.

I think this is important.  Can't you make a symlink on your CTM
machine "/home/ncvs -> /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-CVS" and set CVSROOT to
"/home/ncvs"?  That would solve the problem.

John

PS - For the record: $Header$ is evil, and so is $Source$.  $Log$
is the devil incarnate.