Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 21:43:21 +0100 (WET DST)
From:      Guido Muesch <g.muesch@stochastik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   booting from SCSI problem

I have two hard drives: One IDE (170MB DOS) and one SCSI (2GB with FreeBSD
in first slice) and booteasy installed in both MBRs.

After first installing FreeBSD without checking out the Bios geometry of the
drive I could not boot FreeBSD. OK, I read about the >1GB problem with SCSI
disks and Bios later and reinstalled FreeBSD.

Bootprocess is now as follows:
F5 -> switch to SCSI disk.
F1 -> booting kernel from first slice of the SCSI disk.

The kernel boots fine, but thinks the SCSI disk is sd(1,a) and so
fails to mount the root partition. OK, I can type '-r' all the time to get
the compiled in rootdevice. But can this not be made the default? Or am I
missing something else?

Ciao
  Guido