Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:36:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Chroot and ~/bin, ~/etc.  Better way?

Hi everybody;

If this message looks a tad familiar, I posted a similar one to -questions
a couple of weeks ago or so.  I'm just trying again :-)

Basically, I'm just looking for an easier solution for maintaining the bin
and etc directories in user directories.  The ~/bin directory isn't bad,
as global changes to these directories are seldom at best on my system.
~/etc, however, must be updated every time the password file is changed,
and I update my (ftp)motd files semi-frequently, as well.  The majority of
my users have ftp accounts only, (thus, chroot is done by ftpd), but there
are still a few with shell accounts.

Is there a way to maintain ONE copy of /bin and /etc and have it apply to
all chroot'd users?  Perhaps I DO need to write a script to periodically
sync the home direcories' copies with my master copy.  I would hope for a
more elegant solution, though.

Thanks again,
Ryan Thompson